The Production Supervisor is responsible for supervising production employees on assigned shift to ensure production guidelines are being met within established timing, quality and cost standards. This position has emphasis on semi-skilled and skilled operations, quality assurance and troubleshooting. Must possess a high level of technical proficiency to assist operators in problem solving while exercising considerable judgement and have the ability to supervise the production process. Direct the routine maintenance and set-up of machines, equipment and facilities.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
: This list is not intended to be all-inclusive and other duties may be assigned.
- Works with the Operations Manager and/or Superintendents/Supervisors to maintain knowledge of yields and variances, methods of calculations, typical problem areas and methods for corrections and improvement.
- Maintain safety or ergonomic programs to ensure a safe working environment.
- Responsibilities include training employees to ensure safe operating procedures are being followed, including lock-out/tag-out; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Maintain desired product quality and safety.
- Maintain adequate knowledge of product and equipment to ensure ability to direct employees to perform the job properly.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Job Safety Analysis (JSAs) and applicable laws.
- Suggests changes in work flow processes and use of equipment to increase efficiency of the department and/or production crew to maintain the lowest level of downtime and product costs possible.
- Responsible for shift schedule to include: work station assignments/rotations, employee training, vacations, breaks, overtime assignment, back-up for absent employees and shift rotations.
- Directly supervises production employees.
- Set daily/weekly/monthly objectives and communicate them to personnel.
- Monitor daily to ensure HACCP and USDA standards are being met.
- Maintain a high standard of employee relations.
- Walk the floor daily to address immediate questions and concerns; Conduct monthly line meetings.
: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the work environment, knowledge, skill, and/or ability required or preferred. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
: Bachelor's degree in a related field (technical, engineering, management) plus 3 to 5 years of experience in a manufacturing industry; 2 years fresh pork experience is preferred or the combination of education and experience that enables performance in all aspects of the position, including supervisory experience.COMMUNICATION SKILLS
: Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively manage time and meet all specified deadlines.LANGUAGE SKILLS
: Ability to read and interpret documents in the English language such as safety files, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Must be able to effectively communicate with USDA, production and management personnel.MATHEMATICAL SKILLS
: Ability to apply mathematical applications to practical situations. Demonstrated ability to understand basic statistics for process control.REASONING ABILITY
: Ability to solve practical problems. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
: Ability to use computers and all standard programs used by the industry and the ability to learn and effectively use any and all other computer programs that are or will be made available. Advanced skills in MS Office.PHYSICAL DEMANDS
: While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to move about the facility. The employee is frequently required to stand for long periods of time; walk; use hands to finger; handle; or feel/hold objects share and use tools/hand tools; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; speak; hear taste and smell and occasionally sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.WORK ENVIRONMENT
: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to cold/hot and/or humid conditions. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts, may be in tight spaces, and around live animals. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, cold/hot temperature and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. The work environment includes climate extremes found in all areas of plant operations.NORMAL WORK SCHEDULE
: The hours and days of work are established as needed by operations and at the discretion of management and may be changed (increased or decreased) by management as required.